|| CHARITY ||
WHY SHOULD ONE DO CHARITY ?
ADATT DANACHHA BHAVET DARIDRA ||
DARIDRA BHAVACHHA KARUTI PAPAM ||
PAPAM PRABHAVAT NARAKAM PRAYANTI ||
PUNAHA DARIDRA PUNAREPA PAPI ||
If one does not donate, the person is penniless and because he is in misery he performs evil deeds. By performing evil deeds he ends up in here and after taking rebirth he once again ends up in the vicious cycle of misery and evil deeds.
SUKHASYA KUMAN DHARMAYA ||
By charity one attains all state of Dharma, Arth, Kama and Moksha.
man achieves happiness
We get that thing all throughout life what we donate. That is the reason why we should donate all kinds of things. One can attain eternal bliss by doing charity. The fruits of donation and charity are simply limitless. Wealth invested on interest basis becomes double while wealth invested in business becomes a fortune. Wealth invested in agriculture becomes 100 times the original and wealth donated to the worthy becomes limitless. Amongst the great Karmas to be performed charity is the greatest amongst them. A person who donates is known as saviour of life.
During the Satyuga, penance was considered the greatest deed while during Treta and Dwapar, Jnana and Yagya were considered great respectively. But during the Kaliyug charity is of special significance.
SURRENDER OF THE LORD’S WEALTH TO THE LORD ITSELF
ESHAVASYAMIDAM SARVAM YATPUNYAM JAGATAMJAGAT ||
TEN VYAKTEN BHUJITHAHA MA MRUDHRA KASYA VIDHDHANANT ||
In every molecule of the earth god resides. All humans therefore have within themselves divinity. Only after parting with whatever we have should we enjoy.Therefore charity is surrendering the lord's wealth to the lord itself. Charity, which is done to help poor, destitute, orphans, disabled, the unhappy indirectly reaches god.Because of charity if ego erupts it vitiates the purpose of charity. Charity should be done with the feeling that the Lords wealth is only being returned to him.Charity which is embellished with the element of surrender is noble indeed. We should donate 1/10th of our monthly income in religious activities.
SELFLESSLY IMPARTING KNOWLEDGE
One should impart knowledge acquired to other without taking fees. One should also donate medicines free of cost.
VARIOUS BENEFITS ACCRUED TO CHARITY
Charity is the real wealth of a person. The wealth, which is given in charity, is the wealth with which a person attains eternal bliss.One should donate even if one?s fortune is favourable so that god blesses us with some more things. One should also donate if one?s fortune is not in favour because God can change the fortune and eliminate misfortune.
THE MERITS AND DEMERITS OF THE DONOR
According to Acharya Amritchand Suri
AIHIK FALANAPEKSHA KSHANTIR NISHKAPTTA, ANASOYATVAM ||
AVISHADIVYA MUDITVE NIRAHAKARIVAMITI DARTRUGUNAHA ||
The donor should be :
BENEFITS OF CHARITY ACCORDING TO DIFFERENT PURANAS
- Devoid of desires of material happiness He should be altruistic and should work without expecting any return
- Forgiveness : He should donate by giving due respect and if he is criticized by the receiver he should patiently listen and bear.
- Straight forwardness : He should be devoid of wickedness and cunningness.
- Jealousy : He should be free from jealousy.
- Happy : When hermits or sages arrive he should not express his pleasure, and according to one?s capability offer them his hospitality.
- Enthusiasm : The donor should have feeling of enthusiasm and zeal while donating.
- Egoless : The donor should be free from ego.
- VISHNU PURANA -
- By Making a Well - One becomes prosperous.
- AGNI PURANA -
- To decorate a Kapila cow - One gets limitless fruits. The donater becomes wealthy and prosperous.
- By donating a vehicle - One gets benefits of a Rajsurya Yagya.
- By donating a tooth brush - One becomes very fortunate.
- The Thread (Upanayana) - One gets benefits of donating clothes.
- By donating secretly - One becomes free from all sins and attains heaven, destroys all enemies.
- By donating a conch - One becomes successful.
- BRAHMA PURANA
- By donating camphor, Sandalwood, precious gems, ornamets, musk The person gets very fortunate. He also attains salvation (Moksha).
- NURSINGH PURANA
- By giving knowledge - The person becomes egoless.
- ADITYA PURANA
- By donating gold - One makes the Gods happy, giver of goodfortune and salvation.
- By donating silver - One makes Lord Shiva happy.
- Food and Land - One makes Lord Vishnu happy.
- Jaggery, Ghee, porridge, clothes - One makes the moon god happy.
- PADMA PURANA
- Ghee, Food and a Pot - One becomes fearless.
- A water pot along with gold and sesame - One becomes free from the sin of killing a brahmin.
- Fuel (Gas Chulha) - One?s digestion power increases.
- Medicine, Oil - One is free from ailments, gets long life and becomes happy.
- Different types of grains - One gets to stay for a thousand years in a Chandralok. He/she takes birth in a very noble clan on earth. He is not devoid of any food anytime.
PEOPLE WORTH GIVING DONATION
PRATHAMAM TY GURORDANAM DATVASHRESHTHA MANUKRAMAT ||
TATO ANYESHAM CHA VIPRANAM DADYATPATRANU SARATAHA ||
Giving donation to the Guru is considered noble, after that donating to a Brahmin and after that doing charity towards brother-in-law, son-in-law and grandson etc is considered beneficial. Charity done towards family members, friends, poor, destitutes is also cognizable. One can reap limitless benefits by giving donations to priests coming regularly at home. Poor Brahmins, the hungry and the poor also can be given donations.
WHY SHOULD A BRAHMIN BE GIVEN DONATIONS ?
The Brahmin represents the head of the Virat Purush or cosmic soul. It is said that Brahmins have taken birth from the mouth of Brahmaji. A Brahmin is knowledgeable about scriptures and the vedic texts. Secondly he is referred as the God of the Earth i.e. Bhudev. Unless the Brahmin invokes the Gods through incantations the God cannot come and partake the oblations offered. Because of these reasons it is best to donate to Brahmins.
TYPES OF CHARITY / DONATION
- SATVIKDAAN (NOBLE CHARITY) : Noble charity is considered the most highest form of charity. In this type of charity the donor does not yearn for fame, prestige, status or honour. The donation is selflessly done.
DATAVYAMITI YADDANAM DIYATE ANUDKARINE ||
DESHE KALE CHA PATRE TAT DANAM SATVIKAM BINDU ||
Means -that charity which has been done without seeing the person, time, and place and with a sense of duty is known as Satvik Daan.
- RAJASDAAN : That charity, which is done for elimination and repentance of sins, progeny, victory, luxury and happiness, is known as Rajas Daan.
YATTU PRATYUPKARARTHA FALA BUDDISHYA VA PUNAH || DEEYATE PARIKLISHTAM TAD DANAM RAJASAM SMRITAM || - GEETA Means This type of charity, done with pain and with the expectation of returns, is known as Rajas Daan. Which are material in form. Sometimes the donor could have ego and can insult the receiver at times.
- TAMAS DAAN : Tamas Daan is of a lower standard than even Rajas Daan.
ADESHE KALE YADDANAM APATREBHYASCHA DIYATE ||
ASATKRUTAMAVGYANAM TAT TAMAS MUDRA HATAM ||
Which means- the charity done for insulting people and given to unworthy people without considering time, place and qualities is known as Tamas Daan.
- GUPTDAAN: (CHARITY DONE IN SECRECY)
This holds special significance. Any type of charity done in total secrecy is known as Guptdaan. It is performed as repentance for one?s sins without pomp and show and more over it has a sense of duty within it.It is so secretly done than neither the donor knows he is giving nor the receiver knows he is taking. One thing, which is good in Guptdaan, is that the identity of the (donor) person is not disclosed hence the question of ego does not arise and is neither fond of social status and honour. The receiver does not perceive any type of superiority or inferiority complex.
- GODAAN (DONATION OF A COW)
The Significance of Godaan :
The benefits of donating a cow are simply endless. There is no other donation comparable to donation of a cow in this world. It helps in making a person pure and helps him in attaining the highest state of eternal bliss or heaven. One should donate a cow to Brahmin by decorating the cow by ornaments, along with cloth, Dakshina (fee) and Jewellery.If one cannot afford donating a cow, then the person should donate some money to the Brahmin.It is said that the Sun, Moon, Varuna, Agni, Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva salute the person who donates cow benevolently.
Donation of fruits, food and gold is considered to be very noble. By donating food one enjoys all the happiness of maternal life. It also pacifies the gods, the sages and the deceased ancestors. Other than this donation of cloth is also very beneficial and noble.
- NITYA DAAN (DONATIONS TO BE DONATED REGULARLY)
Every person should donate and should offer to the gods the following things regularly.A bowl full of food, fruits, flowers, vegetables, milk, curd, ghee etc.
Oblation to be offered in religious sacrifices -
Every day in the morning one should add sugar to rice and offer this to the god 17 times reciting the Mantra, 17 times.
AUM NAMO BHAGVATE VASUDDEVAYA ||
One should regularly offer food to Brahmins, Poor people and destitues.Everyday one should donate some money to the cowshed for hay for cows. If possible one should give one roti (bread) to the dog. One should give bits of bread to the crows.Every day in the morning a bowl full of gram should be given to the birds.One should offer balls of flour to fishes in a pond or river. The person who performs all these types of donations can get all his desires fulfilled.
- DONATIONS TO BUILD HOSPITALS ECC.
One should every year regularly earmark a certain amount as donation to hospitals or other charitable organisations.
- DONATION OF STATIONERY
One should donate Register, Files, Diaries, Pens, Slates, Pen, Pencil, Envelope etc.
- DONATION OF LAMPS, ELECTRICTY CONNECTIONS.
Giving electricity connections, or donating lamps, candles, cells, lantern, kerosene oil is recommended By donating lamps to the temple one remains healthy and is free from penury.
- DONATIONS OF FANS.
The person who donates fans, coolers, table fans is free from all sins and he attains Vaikunthlok.
- DONATIONS OF UMBRELLA.
The person who donated Umbrellas begets progeny and wealth. One can attain even spiritual growth by donating umbrellas.
- DONATION OF FOOTWEAR.
The person who donates footwear such as chappals, shoes, sandals to a Brahmin is free from all his problems.
- DONATION OF BETEL NUT LEAVES.
One can attain long life, wealth and fortune by donating betel nut leaves.
- DONATION OF FUEL.
Buy donating fuel such as gas, wood, chulha etc all desires of a person can be fulfilled. It improves digestion power and pacifies the lord .
- DONATIONS GIVEN TO APPEASE PLANETS (NAVAGRAHA)
- Donation to appease the Planet Sun _ (On Sunday)
Ruby, coral, wheat, jaggery, ghee, red cloth, sandalwood, saffron flowers.
- Donation to appease the planets moon (On Monday)-
White cloth, rice, curd, sandalwood, camphor, flowers, conch.
- Donation to appease the planet Mars (On Tuesday) ?
Gold, copper, lentil, jaggery, ghee, red cloth, saffron, sandal wood.
- Donation to appease the planet mercury (On Wednesday) -
Emerald, gold, green cloth, lentil, sugar, ghee, flowers, fruits, camphor, Dakshina.
- Donation to appease the planet Jupiter ? (On Thursday)
Topaz, Gold, Yellow cloth, Chana (grams), Turmeric, Jaggery, Ghee, flowers, fruits books, Dakshina.
- Donation to appease the planets Venus (On Friday)
Diamond, Gold, Silver, cloth, rice, Sugar candy, milk, curd, sandalwood, flowers
- Donation to appease to planet Saturn (on Saturday)
Sapphire, gold, black cloth, oil, horse bean, music, flowers, Dakshina.
- Donation to appease the Planet Rahu
Agate, gold, lead, blue cloth, blanket, Sesanum, mustard oil, flowers, Dakshina.
- Donation to appease planet Ketu
Gold, bluish grey cloth, seven types of cereals, oil coconut, knife, Dakshina.
- TEN (10) OTHER TYPES OF CHARITY (MAHADAAN)
- Godaan (Donating Cow) - Direct or indirectly
- Donating Land - According to one?s ability
- Donating Gold - According to one?s ability or 34 Grams
- Donating Silver - According to one?s ability or 2 Kilos.
- Donating clothes - Cloth measuring 8 yards.
- Donating grain/cereals - According to one?s ability or 100 Kilo.
- Donating Ghee - According to one?s ability or 20 Kilos
- Donating Jaggery - According to one?s ability or 13 Kilos
- Donating Sesanum - According to one?s ability or 18 Kg.
- Donating Salt - According to one?s ability or 135 Kg.
THE TIME TO DONATE
Donations to the Gods should be offered in the early morning. To eliminate doshas, ailments in human donations should be offered in the afternoon. For deceased ancestor donations should be offered in the night or evening. Donations to the spirits should be done in the evening.
One should donate on the following Tithis (dates)
- Shukla Poornima in Jyestha, Vaishakh month
- Dasham or Poornima day in Aashad month
- Krishna Ashtami in Shravana month
- Tritiya of Krishna Paksha in month of Bhadrapada
- Kartik Shukla Dwadeshi and Poornima
- Paush Shukla Ekadashi
- Mayh Shukla Tritiya and Saptami
- Phalguna Amavasya in Poornima
- Chaitra Krishna Panchami
- Chaitra Shukla Panchami
- Vaishakh Shukla Tritiya
- Kartik Shukla Saptami
- Margshish Shukla Navami
- Magh Shukla Trayodashi
- Phalgun Krishna Tritiya.
One should donate during solar and lunar eclipse. If there is incidentally a solar eclipse on a Sunday and lunar eclipse on a Monday it creates a Chudamani Yoga. The donation done on these days reaps limitless benefits. One gets special benefits if one donates on days of Amavasya, Poornima, Sankranti, Vyatipat, Vaidhriti Yoga.
- Donation done on the Poornima of the Vaishakh, Shravana, Kartik and Magh are considered auspicious and very noble.
- The tithi of Somvati Amavasya is very rare, auspicious tithi even for the Gods.
- On the day of Nirjala Ekadashi one should donate anything other then food.
- On the day of Ramnavami and Janmashtami and the day after Janmashtami one should donate during time of ?Mand Utsav?.
- By donating on the day of Akshaya Tritiye one gets limitless benefits, on the days of Amavasya on Monday. Saptami of Sunday, Chaturthi on Tuesday and the Ashtami on Wednesday are equally auspicious as a solar eclipse for donation/charity.
- One should donate on both the Trayodashi days of Shravana month and also in the Bhadrapada Krishna Paksha, on Kartik Shukla Navami, Ekadashi, Makar Sanskranti and in Adhik maas.
|I never thought I will get such a clear picture about my future through astrology.
Thanks to astrospeak panel for making my life happy.